St.Christopher’s College of Education was established in 1923, and is residential. It was affiliated to the University of Madras till 1-Jul-2008, from then onwards it is affiliated to the Tamilnadu Teachers Education University. The college offers courses leading to B.Ed., M.Ed. and M.Phil. degrees and research leading to Ph.D. degree.
The college is recognized by the Department of Education, Tamilnadu, as a Teacher Training Institute and prepares teachers who will teach in primary schools. Opportunities for observation and practice teaching are provided in the model school Bentinck Higher Secondary School for girls, which is under the management of the College.The other Secondary and Higher Secondary Schools in the city are also practice teaching schools for both B.Ed and D.EL.ED student teachers.
A nursery school is also attached to the College where the children above 2 ½ years of age are admitted. It serves as a Laboratory school for the B.Ed & the N.T.Ed. Individual attention and guidance are given by efficient and enthusiastic staff. Children enjoy learning through discovery and modern teaching aids. Nursery children are also given nutritious food.
Pass in any U.G. Degree
Candidates with Minimum Marks of 50% for OC, 45% for BC, 43% for MBC and 40% for SC in the Part III of the U.G. Degree.
Candidates who have done their U.G. Degree in applied Chemistry, Bio-Chemistry, Applied Physics, Environmental Science or Micro-Biology can apply for Chemistry, Physics & Biology Optionals Respectively.
For Commerce and Home Science, Candidates with PG qualification alone will be considered.
Optional Subjects and Electives Offered
Tamil Education Course
English Education Course
Mathematics Education Course
Physical Science Education Course
Biological Science Education Course
Home Science Education Course
History Education Course
Geography Education Course
Computer Education Course
Commerce & Accountancy Education Course
Every candidate shall, choose two optional subjects. The first optional shall be the subject that she has specialized at the major level in the degree course or in the post graduate course. The second optional subject shall be allotted by the college.Graduates with B.A. Degree English / Tamil shall choose English / Tamil Equivalent to two optional subjects.
Pre Primary Education
Education of the Exceptional Children
Value Oriented Education
The candidates called for admission should report at the specific time and date with all her ORIGINAL CERTIFICATES and be ready to pay the college Fees.The principal takes no responsibility for returning any original certificates or testimonials, which are sent before the applicant is provisionally selected to undergo the course.Those who discontinue the B.Ed. course, after admission will not be admitted to the college again.Students leaving residence in the middle of year will be required to pay establishment fee and overhead charges for the full year.
Rules and Regulations
- HOURS OF ATTENDANCE: Attendance is taken daily at 9.00 a.m. and 1.00 pm Those who arrive late are marked absent.
- RELIGIOUS AND MORAL EDUCATION: Parallel courses are provided in (a) the content and methods of teaching the Christian Religion and (b) Moral Education. Every student is expected to attend one of the courses.
- MARRIAGE: Parents are advised not to arrange marriage for their daughters during the course.
- Students admitted to the Hostel will not be allowed to become day students during the course of the year.
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION: All students must attend physical education classes, which may be arranged before or after regular class hours, in accordance with the regulations of the University.
- B.Ed. CAMP: Students are required to be residents during the B.Ed. Camp, which is a part of the course.
- TEACHING PRACTICE: Teaching practice is arranged in the model school, viz., Bentinck Higher Secondary School for Girls and in other Secondary and Higher Secondary Schools in the city. Every student must satisfy the conditions laid down by the University regarding practical work and teach in any school, as arranged by the college.
- LEAVE: The University requires that an accurate record be kept of the reason for any leave taken. Leave must be applied for and sanctioned in advance. Written applications for leave should be submitted one day in advance. No student can avail leave for more than ten days in the year. If a student absents herself for five consecutive working days without applying. for leave, her name will ordinarily be removed from the roll of the College. No leave will be granted for any reason. whatsoever, in advance or in continuation of terminal holidays.
- ATTENDANCE: No student will be released from training until the course is completed. A student who fails to keep adequate attendance for each aspect of the course, including lectures, teaching practice, physical education and B.Ed. camp, will not be permitted to appear for the B.Ed. degree examination as per the University regulations.
- Students may not take any course of study other than those offered at the College.